4-H Camp in Williamsburg Va
Junior 4-H Camp is our residential week long summer camp program available to youth ages
9-18. Summer camp provides youth countless opportunities for learning more about themselves, their peers, and the natural world around them. This learning takes place through a wide range of camp activities and programs, all of which are designed to allow youth to "learn by doing" through hands-on participation. Days are filled with instructional-based camp classes, unstructured recreation and swim time, flag ceremonies, evening programs, and campfire programs.
Hands-on skill sessions may include:
Canoeing & Kayaking
Arts and Crafts
Counselor In Training (CIT)
Seining & Marine Science
Outdoor Living Skills (OLS)
Character development is nurtured through:
- Amphitheater campfires
- "Character Counts!" Training – See the Six Pillars of Character Counts!
- Community Spirit of 4-H
- Evening programs (may include carnivals and water olympics)
- Counselor In Training (CIT)
- Benefits of 4-H Camping
Campers leave their week-long experiences with:
- A greater appreciation for the environment and their surroundings
- A greater sense of self-esteem and self-worth
- Greater inter-human communication skills
- A greater sense of personal and community accountability and leadership skills
- Pride and a commitment towards future participation in regional 4-H clubs and programming
- The satisfaction of accomplishing independent life skills
- Campers enjoy delicious wholesome meals served family style. A salad bar is available for lunch and dinner, and accommodations are available for special dietary needs.
Teen Leaders, Adult Volunteers and 4-H Center Camp Staff all work together to supervise campers. Teen and adult volunteers are recruited, screened, and trained in their home counties with training support provided by the 4-H Center. Caring, trained 4-H Summer Staff from diverse backgrounds help campers develop a sense of acceptance, self-worth, and security through group living and activities. All 4-H Center Camp Staff participate in more than two (2) weeks of mandatory, intensive staff training prior to the start of camp to ensure your child is offered the safest & enjoyable time. The 4-H Center’s supervision policy includes a minimum of a 1:8 staff to camper supervision ratio. In addition, each week of 4-H Camp features two (2) highly trained, experienced, and professional Camp Directors including your local 4-H Extension Agent (or trained designee) as well as the 4-H Center Program Director.
*For more information on becoming a Teen Leader (14- 18 years of age) or an Adult Volunteer, please contact your local 4-H Agent OR the 4-H Center Program Director.
2012 Junior Summer Camp Schedule
If there is a link for your county, it leads to the brochure for that camping week. If you need any information about registering for a particular week of camp, either contact the 4-H Center at 757-253-4931, or contact your local extension office.
|June 11- June 15:||Gloucester|
|June 18- June 22:||Hampton, Newport News, Westmoreland, Richmond County|
|June 25- June 29:||James City, Essex|
|July 2- July 6:||Goochland, Hanover, Powhatan|
|July 9- July 13:||Henrico|
|July 16- July 20:||Chesterfield|
|July 23- July 27:||York|
|July 30- August 3:||Middlesex, Charles City, New Kent,
King William, King & Queen
|August 6- August 10:||Mathews, Lancaster, Northumberland, Richmond City|